Wednesday, February 9, 2011

APPLE SNAIL PICTURES AND FACTS?

While I was cleaning out the pump sump on my wife's fish pond I found these two snails in the sump basket. I decided to do just a little bit of research on them because I thought that they were interesting and pretty. 

They are inhabitants of tropical and subtropical freshwater. The family name is Ampullariidae (sometimes shortened to Pilidae). There are several genera, such as  AsoleneFelipponeaMarisaand Pomacea. These are the New World genera for South America, Central America, the West Indies and the Southern U.S.A.


The genera AfropomusLanistes and Saulea are commonly found in Africa and the genus Pila is native in both Africa and Asia. 


Apple snails are popular aquarium-pets due to their attractive appearance and size, sometimes reaching a size of  15 cm or approximately a 6 inch diameter in the case of the Pomacea maculata (which is not pictured here).









I sincerely hope that you have enjoyed these pictures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment