Thursday, February 17, 2011

JUVENILE LITTLE BLUE HERON?

  When I first saw this Avian, I thought it was a Lesser Snowy Egret.


                                               
It is probably a good thing that I am NOT an ornithologist. I will bet that you didn't know that James Bond was an ornithologist. While researching information on the lesser Snowy Egret, I stumbled across Stephen Cresswell's website and found this image

                                                     
  Apparently, I was incorrect in my first impression that this was any type of Egret. My first clue that this was actually a Juvenile Lesser Blue Heron was the green legs and the pale, black tipped bill

                                                            
I watched it hunt and take some type of small lizard from the weeds along Lake Sears. For all I know, it might have been a Sceloporus Woodi (Florida Scrub Lizard).

                                                  

No comments:

Post a Comment