Friday, February 4, 2011

WOOD STORK STALK

While driving along the shore of Lake Howard in Winter Haven, Fl. I spotted these two large white birds sitting on a dock at a public park. I pulled into the parking area and began my stalk. I am not an Ornithologist, but, I think that these birds are commonly called Woods Ibis, Woods Stork or Mycteria americanaBecause of the feathers on the neck, I think that these may be immature storks. If I am correct in my identification these are the only storks that live and breed in the United States.

My poor little point and shoot Kodak camera was hard pressed to get this picture. It is a four Mega Pixel CX4730 that is well used and abused.


While this picture was kind of a oops picture, it serves to show that the legs are mostly black or dark gray. Wikipedia say this about these beautiful birds.


My stalk ended this way. I wish that I could have gotten more and better pictures before this happened.


No comments:

Post a Comment